Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Beastie Boys live in Brooklyn!

The boys played their first Brooklyn show on August 9th of last week. Their first Brooklyn show ever! Of all the venues in all the world, it took them 21 years to get to this one, McCarren Pool Park, in their hometown of Brooklyn. And it was one hell of a show. Allow me to walk you through it.



The stage two hours before showtime.



One happy fan. The back of her sign says "No Sleep Till"
and her friend had a sign that read "I (weed leaf) the Beastie Boys!"



Our entertainment during the wait. She was pretty awesome, she mixed a lot of random songs from different genres and they all went together smoothly.



And so begins the show!



They walked out so casually as if they just walked into their own home
then jumped right into their performance. The funnest professionals I've ever seen.



They opened with....

Hello Brooklyn



An awesome start to a great show.



Mike D was all over the place throughout the show, I've never seen such an active performer.



MCA wandered around the stage here and there during the show and of the three I think he connected with the audience the most on a sort of candid level. At one point during the show someone threw their Kangol hat on the stage and MCA wore it for a bit. You could tell he was really enjoying himself (as were Mike D and Adrock) and so it made the show that much better. Towards the end of the concert he called us "crazy motherfuckers" with a big smile across his face.


Sure Shot



A crowd favorite.



Yep, that's a disco ball in the back. That's just how they roll.



The moments when the three of them would get together in a little circle and bounce off one another or stand together and pose at the edge of the stage were some of the best moments from the show.



Adrock was amazing. He's so damn cool I can't handle it.

Time For Livin



The crowd behind me was moshing as the guys got crazy on stage, I caught a bit of it on camera.

Gratitude



With another shot of the crowd.



After a few classics they performed some of their newer entirely instrumental songs from the Mix Up.



Alfredo Ortiz came out for the intrumentals as well as..




Keyboard Money Mark!

Suco de Tangerina



My personal favorite from the new album.

Mike D introduces the Beastie Boys



I think it's cute when musicians introduce themselves at their own shows.
Especially when they introduce themselves as they leave the stage.
(I'm thinking of you Bob Dylan)


Body Movin



The crowd loved this.



Mike D spoke a bit to the crowd about this being their first Brooklyn show, being from Brooklyn and Manhattan, the schools they went to, and mentioned attending Brooklyn Tech High for a few years and Adrock mentioned he "went there too. For three days.. maybe two."

Shake Your Rump



I assisted a crowd surfer with my right hand while I filmed this with my left.

Rev Run says a quick hello



We got excited thinking he'd pick up a mic but
he just stood to the side for a few songs then left.




Mix Master Mike

Intergalactic



After a few minutes off stage the guys came back for a three song encore.

Sabatoge



Who doesn't love this song?

No Sleep Till Brooklyn




Perfect song to end the show with, don't you agree?



Shot of the crowd on my way out.



A San Fransisco thrift store find.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great report! It must've been great to be there ;)

Ms. Cobb said...

aw I wish I was there, it seems like it was amazing! and I love the brooklyn sign with the stars of david .

I look forward to your report of the rooney show. You better get some good footage of robert. and by good I mean naked and backstage. I want a good quality sex tape outta you.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME POST